Illustration Friday: Neighbor
click on image for larger viewNeighbors. we've all had them. they come in all shapes and sizes. they're nosey, wacky, creepy, and sometimes they're our best friends. from Gladys Kravits to Ned Flanders, Howard Borden to Cosmo Kramer, they've been enemies and advisors to some of our favorite TV characters. villianized in such movies as Rear Window (and the recent Disturbia), Arlington Road, The Burbs, and the aptly named (but utterly forgettable) Neighbors with John Belushi. we're told to "Love our neighbor as ourself" in the Bible. not always an easy thing to do.
this cover features four of my favorite TV neighbors. Sadly, with the passing of Tom Poston this week, they are all no longer with us. though he was better known as the handy-man on the Bob Newhart Show (the second one) i will always remember him as Mork's cranky neighbor Mr. Binkley. i preferred watching Captain Kangaroo personally, but Fred Rogers left an indelible mark on the childhood of more than one generation of children. no one will ever replace him. Mr. Wilson Wilson (his first and last name) Tim Taylor's sage advisor next door, who was never seen below his nose, has to be one of my all-time favorite neighbors. wise and witty, he always knew just what to say to set Tim or any member of the Taylor clan back on their path. and last but by no means least there's the quintessential nosey neighbor Gladys Kravits and her loving husband Abner.
created in Adobe Illustrator specifically for this IF challenge.
as always, thanks for last week's comments, and have a groovy week.

13 Comments:
lol! Very nicely done!
I think the colors are well played.
-davidPoe
Wow I know illustrator and this is very impressive! I love both the Captain and Mr Rogers. Both were definitely a postitive and a wonderful influence in my life as well as my children. Excellent illustration! Thank so much for sharing!
I too know Illustrator and agree that this is amazing work. Great concept!
Excellent! Gosh I enjoyed every bit of this post! Probably because I am as old as dirt...an know all the characters you mentioned! Well done...loved it!
Peace Giggles
Love this! Great idea to make comic book covers out of all of the IF topics. really enjoyed looking back at your previous submissions for IF.
A cool illustration and a nice tribute! Well done, Bill.
Great stuff, William! I enjoyed this work, and all the little details you've added.
I'm another old fart that grew up on DC, Marvel, and Illustrated Classics, so your work brings back some very fond memories.
Ha! Pop Culture overload! Gah! Realization that I'm old enough to know Mr. Binkley!
I'm also old enough to really love those old horror comics. I found a Weird War in the 50cent bin this weekend. Horrific and horrible!
Wish I could find something to critique about the art, but there doesn't seem to be any room for improvement and your style is so solid, man
Genius. Great great idea and beautiful execution.
very funny... Enjoyed the walk through memory lane! *sigh* and I like how you incorporated mr rogers song into the creepiness aspect...
like this realistic piece!
I remember being over in the states many many years ago as a 9 yr old.
Even then that Rogers Dude creeped me out.
Someone had to do something about it and I'm so glad it was your deft wrist that deliverred the blow.
Great work!
I love pop art - so I'm a fan!!
Post a Comment
<< Home