Illustration Friday: Communication
Lt. Uhura, Communications Officer aboard the starship Enterprise, played by the beautiful Nichelle Nichols. probably the most useless job on the bridge. so useless in fact that the position was dropped in later series (excluding the Enterprise series), but who cares?
other than Yeoman Rand, Kirk's personal.. (oh, what's a good title for her? secretary? assistant? concubine?) Uhura was the only female senior officer on the bridge. with such memorable lines as "hailing frequencies open, captain" and "they're not responding, sir" it's pretty obvious her main purpose on the show was eye candy for adolescent geeks, with her sexy red miniskirt uniform and go-go boots (and i know we all miss those in the later movies and tv shows).
i also couldn't resist a pop culture reference to the classic rock hit of the phenomenal band Led Zepplin "Communication Breakdown". along with a tip o' the hat to Image Comics, some of the people who defied the CCA and actually made a living without bowing to the censorship of that outdated institution.
as usual this illustration was created exclusively for this IF challenge in Adobe Illustrator. thanks for stopping by and have a groovy week ahead. and thanks for last week's comments.


8 Comments:
Excellent Work!
Wow! She's fantastic! I love your style, Demosthenes :)
http://cabanadigital.com/weblog/
Nice illustration. I was ready to
go out and buy the comic!
okay, that's just silly
I'm just lovin' your comic book covers. They totally rock, Bill! This one is especially dynamic and poweful. Hope all is well.
Great illustration here. I'm challenged by the idea of a Uhura-devoted comic book, but your execution is top-notch.
Okay, I guess in Star Trek V she did some pretty classy dancing to save Kirk and McCoy's bacon.
(Oh, and as for the Zep, not a day goes by that I don't sing that song at work. Too many communication breakdowns there, and too much Led for the head.)
man. What is very strange is a friend of mine has just started taking drawing classes (ah, what to do after reaching 1st dan in Aikido?) and posting on IF, decided to do an Uhura as well.
At first I thought it was strange that there were two Uhuras, now I find it strange that there are only two!
That chick deserves her own comic! Your style is fab. Just watched that Futurama episode, "where no fan has gone before"... Man, that was funny.
Post a Comment
<< Home